- 2 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic — minced or 1 tbsp jarred garlic
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 carrot, large — or 2 medium ones
- 2 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups lentils
- 3 small potatoes — cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika (you can also use smoked paprika)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 5 cups water
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add onion and cook for 1 minute. Add garlic and carrots. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently,
- Add in the tomato paste, tomato sauce, and lentils. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add potatoes. Pour 4 cups of water on top. Add salt, pepper, paprika, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-35 minutes until the lentils are cooked and the potatoes are tender.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Optional- Top with chopped baby spinach.