This has to be the best soup you’ll eat. Delicious any time of year. This is really good for those chilly days, Great to serve when you have guests.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound beef roast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound of fusilli pasta
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 2 Tbsp. dried chives
- Bring stock and 3 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, season beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat. Add beef. Cook, for 8 minutes until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of remaining oil in the pan over high heat. Add onion, thyme, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 -7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add the garlic. and cook for 5 more minutes. Strain stock mixture into the pan with beef. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 1 hour 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Using tongs, transfer beef to a cutting board. Using 2 forks, shred meat. Remove and discard herbs. Return beef to pan. Bring to a boil. Add pasta. Boil, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Add cream. Stir to combine. Serve soup sprinkled with chives.