This tomato and rice soup is a budget-friendly dinner idea! With just a few pantry staples, you’ll whip this up easily.
Just a few pantry staples are all it takes to make this dish. You can use white or brown rice.
Use whole tomatoes or diced. Want a little spice, add 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 – 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked rice (I use parboiled rice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add more if needed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
- Add in the diced onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and oregano and stir until well coated, continuing to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, and tomatoes and simmer.
- If you’d like a smoother soup, use an immersion blender to blend the soup. You can also leave it chunky.
- Next, add the rice. Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes. And Serve it hot.